Professional Teeth Cleanings and Complete Check-ups
Along with brushing and flossing daily, a check-up and clean every six months are necessary to ensure that you maintain healthy teeth and gums.Detecting issues early allows us to prevent them from getting worse, therefore, reducing the risk of tooth decay, gum disease, and other oral problems.
Complete check-up involves:
- Examining all of your teeth and gums.
- Scaling and polishing your teeth to remove the plaque and tartar build-up and reduce gum inflammation. When gums are inflamed they shrink, this exposes dentin which decays very easily, ultimately causing gum disease, bad breath and also bone loss.
Additional treatment often done at the time of your check-up and cleaning:
- Fluoride treatment: to strengthen tooth enamel and reduce the sensitivity that can occur after cleaning.
- Digital X-rays: which allow us to see if there are anything between your teeth and check the condition of the roots and bone.
- Our dentists at Smart Dental will then discuss the findings from your examination and x-rays, inform you if further dental treatment is required and explain all of your options in detail.
Why do you need a complete check-up and cleaning?
Tartar or plaque cannot be eliminated by mere brushing or flossing, and if allowed to accumulate, they become the ideal conditions for bacteria to thrive on teeth and gums. It needs to be regularly removed by a dentist; otherwise, it becomes a risk to gum diseases and even tooth loss. This is the reason why dental check-ups & teeth cleaning are recommended regularly.
A tooth cleaning or ‘scale and polish’ involves removing the plaque and tartar build up on your teeth, and leaving the surfaces of the teeth clean and smooth so that bacteria are unable to stick to them and you have a better chance of keeping the teeth clean during your regular home care.
Dentists at Smart Dental perform complete dental check-up with precision. Contact Smart Dental today to schedule your appointment.